Google yesterday released an iPhone app for its Orkut social network. Orkut received quite a bit of press attention yesterday because it was the most popular social networking in Brazil until a report by comScore yesterday suggested Facebook overtook it. According to comScore, 36.1 million Brazilians visited Facebook in December 2011 compared to the 34.4 million who visited Orkut.
Orkut was launched by Google in 2004 and has been particularly successful in Brazil where 60% of its total users are located. Orkut gives users the ability to “send scraps, see your friends updates, upload photos and browse your friends albums anywhere you go.”
According to the app’s descriptions, these are the features available:
- Update your status
- Check your scraps and messages
- Reply to your friends birthdays
- Check your friends updates
- Browse your friends profiles, scraps and photos
- Take new photos and upload them directly to your Orkut albums
- Share your life anywhere, anytime with the people you care about
The app is free and available in English and Portuguese.